Monday, July 15, 2013

marriage musings (and music)

Graduate. Check.
Get engaged. Check.
Get married. Check.
Buy a house. Check.
Have a baby.....gotcha ;). No check here yet.

Needless to say, sometimes life feels like running through a checklist, and it's all we can do to keep up! Boy, it is fun, though. I am so thankful to have a husband to run through that list with me. I just hope we can camp out on a few of these line items, enjoy the fire, roast some s'mores, and sing a song or two under the stars. Life is too short and God's gifts are too good.

Some things that I have enjoyed while camping out:

Getting to know my wonderful groom - he never fails to amaze me. What's funny is, you think you know someone and love someone on your wedding day, and then suddenly you're a year in with so many surprises and new unknowns. I'm amazed daily at this incredible person that I share my life, my home, my toothpaste, my meals and my couch space with.

Adding one to my family, and becoming a member of another - there's no such thing as too much family. It has been an incredible blessing to see my family love and welcome Jake as if he's always been here, and vice versa, to become a member of his family has been huge! No struggle or conflict is too big that we don't stop thanking the Lord for this support system and their love for us. I have a sister now and Jake has a brother! Dreams come true, and it's been so fun.

Bridging the gap between our differences, but holding onto our identity - this has been the most intriguing part of the whole marriage experience, and I think Jake would agree with me. I'm so thankful Jake isn't exactly like me, but then sometimes I just wish the square peg would fit in the round jar. It's those times that I wish we'd pick up camp and run on to the next pit stop, however, it's in these rough moments that I have fallen in love even more.

A trivial example of this are our tastes in music. I came into this relationship a die-hard Dave Matthews Band fan, following underground artists, the indie scene, and reveling all the more if I was the "first" in my group of friends to discover an unknown artist. Complex notes, even more complex lyrics and off-the beaten path characters. Think of a song that you can brood to. That's my thing. Then here comes Jake - baller, shot-caller - who likes strong beats and down-home small-town truth. Give him a catchy beat and straight-forward lyrics and he's set, singing and dancing his way down an old dirt road in his F-150 pickup truck. And I fell in love.

I'd like to think there's something to my attraction to poetic analogies, and music laced with emotion, all wrapped up in a perfectly crafted album that will send me into a spiral of deep thoughts and spiritual or emotional connectivity. There's a time and a place. But for now, more and more of my days are filled with Texas country, old dirt roads, and windows rolled down on a sunny day, sitting next to a man that cherishes every moment. And I wouldn't trade it for a second.

It's when I've camped out here for a bit that I know marriage is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, concerns, prayers, encouragement, questions, etc.